(Learning and Observing Outside Komaba)
As part of our GFD initiative, we support faculty who are interested in attending conferences on teaching and learning, and observing unique innovative FD practices at other universities. We encourage any faculty (a) who are currently teaching (or planning to teach) their classes in languages other than Japanese and (b) who are interested in faculty development and invested in improving their global educational practices at Komaba to apply. To foster a rich community of learning at Komaba, we ask participants in the LOOK program to:
(a) Submit a written report summarizing their experiences, what they’ve learned through the LOOK program, and how they plan to translate it into their educational practices at Komaba and;
(b) Participate in the Time to TALK trip report sessions to share their experiences and knowledge with other faculty and staff.
The conditions of the grant are as follow:
- The LOOK program covers ONLY conference participation fees and transportation (Including visa application fees and transportation to and from the point of embarkment). It does not cover the following: accommodation fees, daily per diem allowance, academic society membership fees, or any other travel expenses.
- We accept applications on a rolling basis (no fixed deadline).
- If your work is primarily focused on language teaching, your application will only be considered if the event concerns broader teaching and learning innovations, for example, designing effective group work or new pedagogical technologies.
- Applications are restricted to one per semester.
- This application is only for financial support; you are expected to get approval for your trip from the department(s) to which you are affiliated.
Please note that the written report is to be submitted withinone month of participants’ return and will be included in the annual GFD report.
If you wish to participate in the program, please fill out the application form and submit it to gfd-tokyo[at]adm.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp as a PDF file. We ask the applications to be submitted at least two months before the proposed date of travel. We also accept applications for online events.