UTokyo Faculty Development Website 

Useful Links


Research funds
Faculty members may be provided with research funds depending on the budgetary policy of your affiliated department/program. The purpose of your research fund, in principle, is to purchase anything related to your research or teaching. Check with your affiliation to ensure proper use of the funds.

External research funds
-There are competitive research funds available through Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) and elsewhere. You can read more about JSPS Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kaken) at https://www.jsps.go.jp/english/e-grants/index.html.
-Any kind of external research fund you receive needs to be registered with the university and managed through the university accounting department.

(By courtesy of ALESS/ALESA Programs, Center for Global Communication Strategies)


Salary is paid on the 17th every month. If the 17th lands on a weekend, salaries are deposited the Friday before. If the 17th lands on a holiday, salaries are deposited the first following weekday.

Pay slips
Online pay slips are now the default. You can find your pay slip on Todai Portal here:
Categories on your pay slip
-Long-term Cooperative(長期共済): Pension plan
-Short-term Cooperative(短期共済): Health insurance
-Income tax: Income tax is imposed after the long-term and short-term cooperatives are deducted from your salary.
-Residence tax: The residence tax is paid beginning with your second year of residence in Japan and applies retroactively to the previous year’s tax obligation. If you leave Japan after your appointment at the University of Tokyo, you are required to pay the residence tax for your final year of residence the following year.

Health insurance
In principle, you are signed up for health insurance through the university. Dental care is covered as well. The receptionist at the hospital/clinic will ask you to show your insurance card on your first visit, as well as the first visit of each month thereafter. Typically, you get a 70% deduction, resulting in paying 30% of the doctor’s fee and any prescriptive medicine.
Health checkup
Health checkup is provided annually as part of your health benefit. You have two options:
1) Take the health exam offered on campus. (Dates are specified but free of charge.)
2) Take a comprehensive medical checkup at a hospital. The university offers a subsidy that pays for part of the fee.
The results of the medical checkup are not related to your employment in any way.

Employment insurance, paid sick leave
Both of these benefits may be offered by the University depending on the terms of your employment. Check with administrative staff about details.

Maternity and paternity leave
It may be possible to ask for paid maternity and paternity leave. Ask administrative staff for details.

Commuting allowance
Depending on the terms of your employment, the University will provide a commuting allowance if you live more than 2 kilometers from campus. The University will calculate the most costeffective route of commute, which may not be the route you request. This allowance is paid every month. It is possible to get a commuting pass, which is cost effective if you take the same route more than 20 days a month. To obtain a commuting pass, check at your local train station.

Those using COOP are strongly encouraged to join the University Cooperative for 16,000 yen.
This will be refunded when you opt out of the cooperative. Membership benefits include a 10% discount on books purchased in the COOP bookstore.

(By courtesy of ALESS/ALESA Programs, Center for Global communication Strategies)

The rules and regulations of the University of Tokyo can be found here: